Friday 10 May 2013

About time


Pulled pork with apple sauce
So I've toyed with this for a while, but decided now's finally the time to start a food related blog. I've got quite a few interests, some come and go depending what the flavour of the month is, but one thing that is constant is my love of food and cooking. I love baking (cakes mainly, for some reason I'm shit at baking bread) and over the past couple of years have developed a penchant for BBQ. Not British BBQ, but proper American slow cooked BBQ. Ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket etc, smoked for hours till the outside has a dark crunchy bark on it and the meat inside is tender and falling apart. Couple it with all manner of BBQ sauces, coleslaw, potato salad & cornbread and now we're talking. Lets be clear, I'm still partial to a good old British BBQ - sausages that have been incinerated to within an inch of their life, only identifiable by their fingerprints (can you fingerprint a sausage?) and a bit of chicken drumstick roulette (cooked properly or still a bit pink in the middle - take a bite and take your chances...) but there is a time and a place for it. I think the TV show Man vs Food inspired me to broaden my BBQ horizons; week in week out watching Adam Richmond traveling around the USA demolishing amazing food. He's basically got my dream job, so I shamelessly named this blog after the show.


Mum's 60th
Our wedding cake
Then there are cakes. I've baked and decorated a couple of notable cakes in the last few years: our wedding cake, mum's 60th birthday and currently embarking on a work related cake which I'll write a post about when its complete (if it turns out OK). I'm toying with a couple of spare time cake-related projects / businesses which may come to fruition this year, but any excuse to bake something and I usually jump at it. My 25th birthday came round recently, and to celebrate I baked about 200 cookies. Turns out I made more cookies than I have friends - some people had to eat 2 to shift them all before they went stale.


The Munns catering philosophy of  "50% too much food is the right amount of food" has been something I've lived by. If you can't make yourself slim, make those around you fatter. It's much more fun and a hell of a lot easier! Join me on my quest to make the best BBQ food in Hampshire and some pretty damn good cakes along the way too!

No comments:

Post a Comment